Gateshead school nursing
Provide a service to all children and young people of school age, and their families, whether or not they are attending school. They offer advice and information, and assess health needs on children entering school and on transfer to secondary schools.
They offer information and advice, and assess health needs on children entering school and on transfer to secondary schools. They are the first point of contact for schools when there are concerns about a child’s health and wellbeing.
When young people and families require targeted interventions, these may be provided solely by the School Nursing Team or delivered in partners. They work as part of the Integrated Team approach in County Durham known as One Point.
They work in local schools and a variety of community venues including children’s centres, health and home settings.
The aims of the HCP service is to:
- Help parents develop and sustain a strong bond with children;
- Encourage care that keeps children healthy and safe;
- Protect children from serious disease, through screening and immunisation;
- Reduce childhood obesity by promoting healthy eating and physical activity;
- Identify health issues early, so support can be provided in a timely manner;
- Make sure children are prepared for and supported in all child care, early years education settings and especially are supported to be ready to learn at age two and ready for school by age five.