Getting medical help!

Your GP practice is here to help with a range of health needs. It could be a health concern, or other issues like bullying, body changes, mood swings or sexual health.  

Practices are not just about doctors (known as GPs). Depending on your needs, you might see a practice nurse, paramedic, pharmacist or mental health worker. 

Anyone aged 13 or over can make an appointment with a GP – and you don’t have to say what it's for. You don’t have to ask for permission from your parent or carer.  

You have a right to confidentiality; anything you tell your doctor or any other health professional within the practice won't be passed on unless they feel that your or someone else is at risk of being harmed. 

If you're not sure which practice you're registered with, you can ask your parent/carer - but if you don't want to ask them, your school nurse can find out for you, or you can find your local practice at Every practice has a website explaining how to get help from them. 

Making an appointment 

You can make an appointment by going to the practice and asking the person on the front desk, phoning, or booking online. You'll need to ask your practice how to book online – once you're set up for this, it's easy. 

Most practices offer phone appointments, which is sometimes easier than visiting the practice. If you would prefer not to talk about your problems on the phone, ask the receptionist for an in-person appointment.  

When you go to your practice, you need to tell them you've arrived, by tapping a screen or speaking to the person on the front desk.  

Tips for seeing your GP: 

  • If you don’t understand what the doctor’s saying, it's OK to ask. 

  • You can be honest – the doctor won’t judge you. 

  • If it helps, you can write down what you want to ask, and the doctor's advice 

  • You can take a friend if you like 

  • You can request a male or female doctor 

Other options 

If your doctor’s surgery is closed, you can get urgent medical advice by calling 111 (it's free, even on a mobile) or visiting  

Your local pharmacist is highly trained and provides free, confidential advice on minor illnesses from sickness and diarrhoea to hay fever. Pharmacies have a quiet area if you need to speak to someone in private.  

Most areas also have urgent treatment centres, which can treat things like minor burns, infected wounds, sprains, cuts and possible broken bones. 

Accessibility tools