Swallowing pills (Kidzmed)
Kidzmed is a programme developed to help families to teach children and young people how to swallow pills using a simple six-step technique. It was set up at the Great North Children’s Hospital, Newcastle, and has won the NHS Sustainability Award, the HSJ Value Award for Pharmacy and Optimisation and the Bright Ideas in Health Award for Demonstrating an Impact upon Quality Improvement.
Why are swallowing pills better than liquid medicines?
Swallowing pills are better:
- For children and young people: pills are less sickly, contain less sugar and children who swallow pills tend to have less problems taking their medicines
- For carers: pills have a longer shelf-life, do not need to be kept in a fridge, are easier to carry around and more readily available in local pharmacies
- For pharmacists: pills are more commonly stocked in local pharmacies compared to suspensions and cheaper
Swallowing pills is an important life skill for children to learn, for the reasons above, and because most medicines are in pill form.
What do I need to do to teach my child how to swallow pills?
- take a look at our pill swallowing guide below
2. Watch our film with Sister Ailsa Pickering
Pill swallowing technique comic, English leaflet displayed below or select a translated version
- Arabic pill swallowing leaflet
- Belgium french pill swallowing leaflet
- Bengali pill swallowing leaflet
- Czech pill swallowing leaflet
- Dutch pill swallowing leaflet
- Flemish pill swallowing leaflet
- Greek pill swallowing leaflet
- Hebrew pill swallowing leaflet
- Hindi pill swallowing leaflet
- Mandarin pill swallowing leaflet
- Russian pill swallowing leaflet
- Spanish pill swallowing leaflet
- Swedish vpb15 004 pill swallowing leaflet v1 26 june 2019
- Urdu pill swallowing leaflet
Watch our film with Sister Ailsa Pickering
We have a series of podcasts about learning to swallow pills. Listen to Daniel’s podcast to hear his story and find out how swallowing pills made a difference to him.
Listen to Sister Ailsa Pickering talk about teaching children to swallow pills