- they have not done a poo at least 3 times in the last week
- their poo is large and hard
- their poo looks like "rabbit droppings" or little pellets
- they are straining or in pain when they poo
- they have some bleeding during or after having a poo, because their poo is large and hard
- they have a poor appetite or stomach pain that improves after they poo
If your child is over 1 year old, soiled pants can be another sign of constipation, as runny poo (diarrhoea) may leak out around the hard, constipated poo. This is called overflow soiling.
As well as less frequent, hard stools can cause tummy pains, poor appetite, feeling off colour, behavioural changes such as being more irritable or unhappy, and feeling sick etc.